Saturday, February 4, 2012

Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars


Today is my 29th birthday.

Tomorrow, the New York Giants play the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI.

I seriously don't know which I'm more excited about?

Probably the Giants, actually, because let's face it - once you hit the age of 21, birthdays kind of go downhill from there.

A couple weeks ago I texted my friend Natalie  - you know, the mom of two in Law School, with the awesome granola who likes those stupid breadsticks & bagel chips in Chex Mix?  Anyway it was her 29th birthday also, and I asked her if she was doing 'anything fun.'

She responded "Absolutely not. Kindergarten tour, homework, sitting through a two hour training right now, then class tonight.  Being old sucks."

Boy I couldn't have said it better myself.

And to top things off, I've been sick with a cold!

Oh well.  It could definitely be worse.  While I'm not 100% I do feel the best I have so far this week, and at least I don't have to tour kindergartens today or do homework.

Nope, today I can devote all my time to celebrating (whatever that entails at 29?) and making Giants-themed sugar cookie bars.


But I talked to my mother-in-law and she pointed out that when people get to her age, the running joke is "How old are you today, 29?"

Which is an excellent point.

So this is it for me, folks.  I'm never getting any older.

Yay!

Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars

Bars

  • 1 stick (1/2 C) butter, room temperature
  • 1 C. sugar
  • 2 eggs + 1 yolk
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 2 T. cornstarch
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. baking powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease 8x8 baking pan & set aside.

In bowl of mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy.  Add eggs & yolk, one at a time, mixing after each.  Add vanilla & mix well.  In a separate bowl combine flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and stir with a whisk to combine.  Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 14-18 min, until light golden brown and no longer shiny. Cool completely and frost.

Frosting

  • 1/4 C. butter, room temperature
  • 2 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 t. vanilla
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 C. powdered sugar
  • 1 T. milk 
  • food coloring (if desired)
  • sprinkles/decorations (if desired)

For frosting, combine butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments until combined, then add milk (and food coloring, if using) & mix until smooth.  Add up to 1 t. more milk if needed to achieve spreadable consistency.  Spread over cooled cookie.

Makes 9 bars.

Recipe Adapted from Anissa's Kitchen

16 comments:

  1. These look so decadent, fun and YOUNG! I love frosted sugar cookies but I always get too lazy 1/2 through making all of the cut outs. The bar form is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! These look so fun. I will be 29 this year too...I loved your "I'm never getting any older" take on this milestone. I just feel like I'm staring down the big 3-0.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute and fun! Oops and obviously delicious :)
    I love how the sugar cookies are bar form for once - I bet they are thicker and chewier... mmmm
    Awesome blog!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Coffee Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE these! and happy birthday==wait til you hit 44, then you will wish you were 29 again :) anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful recipe. I bookmarked it to make later. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!

    Your mother-in-law is right and I'll be forever 29. It's become a running joke in our family (which I don't think is THAT funny...)

    The bars look great, but I won't be making them. At 29, I have to work so much harder to keep my figure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah I'm making these! Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I'm posting something similar on Monday...but I think I like the look of your bars better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute bars and happy birthday. I always joke with my husband that every birthday after 21 is downhill. Every year it's not fun anymore to get older. Hope you enjoy the Super Bowl too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! Rock your age. I mean, consider what the alternative to aging really is...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, these look so, so good! Happy belated birthday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meaningful Information. Thanks for sharing with us. Keep sharing again this type of post.
    AOL is the most trusted web-mail platform. AOL is developed with amazing features. Nowadays, AOL user is trouble with AOL Login Failed issues. AOL users enter correct login details but some fail to access their AOL email account due to AOL login issues. Our AOL team will provide you with explained solutions to fix AOL login failed problems.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Visitar varios destinos turísticos, hacer un tour de vinos, disfrutar de películas en un teatro o asistir a conciertos y espectáculos son algunas de las formas que cuidarán su estado de ánimo y harán que su viaje a Buenos Aires sea más deseable y placentero. Pocas cosas te darán un placer más sensual que disfrutar de la súper excitante vida nocturna de pilar con un sexy acompañante masculino pilar que llevará tus sentidos a la novena nube. Aproveche al máximo los servicios para adultos comprometidos de su escolta más selecta y obtenga una felicidad sensual completa.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...